6 Steps to Grill the Perfect Steak
There’s nothing better than a nicely grilled juicy steak.
But how come I can’t duplicate that restaurant, expensive, juicy, melt-in-your mouth, perfectly grilled steak?
Well, I found out how to grill steak perfectly – and here’s how you can too.
- The choice of meat is important!!! Just because the supermarket has labeled the steak “good for grilling” doesn’t mean that it is. Lean meat does not do well. You want a piece that has marbling throughout. And these are good cuts: fillet (mignon), top loin (rib eye) – basically the same cuts that are the ones you love in the restaurant.
- Next, proper heating of the grill is vital. If you are using charcoal, spread 2/3 of the bricks on one side and 1/3 of the bricks on the other. That way you have a hotter side for searing the meat and a cooler side for cooking the meat.
If you are using a gas grill, you will lose some of the flavor, but you will want to turn the heat down for the cooking portion.
- Next, rub both sides of the meat with oil and cover with salt and pepper. Be generous with the salt and pepper because it will fall off during the grilling.
- Place your meat on the hot side for searing. Cook on each side for three minutes to get the nice grilled meat crust color you love. For a hand test, I’ve been told that you should be able to hold you hand over the heat for 3 seconds before you can’t take it!
- Place your meat on the cooler side for cooking to your taste. The hand test for the cooler side, I’ve been told, is 6-7 seconds. You will want to use a timer to cook the meat – or use the slice and peak test to see if the meat is done enough for you. Just don’t cut and peek too often or you’ll lose all the juice!
- When the steak is done, take if off the grill and let it set for at least 5 minutes. Some people call it “resting”. It allows the juices to spread back out so that you’ll have a juicy steak with a nice crust.
Follow these steps and you’ll be enjoying perfectly grilled, juicy, melt-in-your-mouth steak that will impress and satisfy the most discriminating steak eater!